I came across this blog post and wanted to share it with you all.
Originaly Posted on 25 November 2009 on Keith Scott's blog
16 things I am Thankful for (public gym edition)
1. I am thankful that I don’t feel the need to approach every guy I know at the gym with a ‘chest-bump, secret hand shake, man-hug combined with a “Yo Bro, what are you training today” greeting’
2. I am thankful that I have never performed squats combined with shoulder presses while trying to balance on a Bosu ball…and never will. (and that is not because they are “too difficult”)
3. I am thankful that my rest periods never include a 5-10 minute phone call, a long story about how wasted I got last night, or a 10 minute ‘tour’ around the gym.
4. I am thankful that the power rack at the gym is always available because it seems as if I am the only person that ever uses it. I am also sad about this fact.
5. I am thankful that even on my most tired, and non-motivated days at gym, I still manage to outwork most of the people there. (And once again, sad about this fact)
6. I am thankful that I have my IPod and it is filled with great training music and that I never have to listen to the “pop-country” that is piped constantly through the speakers.
7. I am thankful that almost all of my clients squat and dead lift and for the third time, sad that not one trainer at the public gym has ever made any of their clients squat or dead lift
8. I am thankful that I don’t “Crossfit”, “Step”, “Yoga-size”, “Pilates” or “P-90 X”, or feel it is necessary to ‘push’ my “system” on anyone else for that matter.
9. I am thankful that I don’t “warm up” on the Elliptical machine, treadmill, or bike and then jump directly into my rep and set scheme.
10. I am thankful that when someone asks me for a spot, I never have yelled “all you bro, all you!”
11. I am thankful that I don’t “Smith-Machine Squat”, “Smith-Machine Bench”, or “Smith-Machine Press.”
12. I am thankful that I never trained in a shirt that had a collar. And for that matter, I have never trained in jeans, or dress pants.
13. I am thankful that the only thing I ever did with the Bosu ball at the gym is move it out of the way when someone left it out….usually after they just hit a new “PR” of 36 reps of DB squats on it.
14. I am thankful that the shirts and shorts that I do wear are of the appropriate size and I never felt the need to go one size smaller so I look “HUGE!”
15. I am thankful that I don’t wear my 1987 high school championship shirt while I “workout” hoping that someone will still ask me about it.
16. I am thankful that I am much too busy to hang out at the gym for more than 50 minutes each day and better, that I can get my whole training session done in that time.