Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Resistance training on a stability ball such a good idea?

mmm…is lifting weights on a stability ball such a good idea? I was just reading a blog post from Mike Boyle’s blog that talked about this potential hazard!


I have personally never used Dumbbell’s while lying or standing on a stability ball, I just see it as an accident waiting to happen. I understand why trainers are using this method (stabilizers, synergistic muscles…etc) I just think there are better ways of going about it! I understand why coaches/trainers that work with athletes like to perform several lifts while standing on a “Buso Ball” or laying on a “Swiss ball/stability ball” but THEY need to understand why they are doing it and the positional hazards that come along with such exercises. My main question for you: are you really making your athletes stronger? Are you working the prime movers, or just the stabilizers? How are you increasing force production?


Well that’s just my 2 cents!



The following is a quote from the article: Spurs alter workouts after Garcia injury

“The bizarre weightlifting accident that resulted in a fractured forearm for Sacramento Kings guard-forward Francisco Garcia has prompted a change in some of the Spurs' workout procedures.

Garcia suffered the injury when an inflatable exercise ball exploded. Garcia reportedly was lying on his back across a “physio ball” while lifting dumbbells. When the ball exploded, the player fell backwards, fracturing the radius in his right wrist. He also suffered ligament damage”

No comments: