Sunday, July 19, 2009

“If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying”

I want to start off by saying I am a thief! That is something that S & C coach Mike Boyle one said in one of his articles! And I would have to agree that any good coach is a thief! I myself regularly steel information from other coaches, in fact I believe stealing and cheating are great coaching techniques! And why not! I am contently reading articles from some of the best coaches in the business; I even pay money to hear them speak at clinics and seminars. I go to learn what has worked for them, not to say I do not have my own option. But in any business, you need to learn what the best have done and why it has worked for them. As Mike said in his article, they should teach cheating in a class! I mean really, in college don’t you want to be part of the smartest group in the class? I would sure hate being the smartest guy in the room, think about it, who am I going to learn from if I am the smartest guy in the group?

In my own programs, I look at what others have done and I incorporate it into what I do as a trainer! I make tweaks to the program as need by the individual client. Looking at my desk right now I have dozens of books that I often reference to when I need ideas. When it comes to strength and conditioning there is little that has changed in the last several years!

You might think differently, but if you look at the research it has always been around, it's just a lot of coaches are stuck in their ways of doing things and not willing to change. If you think about it, Plyometrics is a great example, it has been around for years, it started off in the eastern parts of the world in 1920 with manly track and field athletes and it was not in tell the 1970 that other sports in the USA started integrating it into their sport programs....what took us so long?


Well that’s all I wanted to say for tonight. I will end with a saying one of my college offensive line coaches would tell us when he was teaching us how to hold a defensive lineman without getting caught by the referees “If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying”

No comments: