Sunday, October 4, 2009

Flexibility



Among the different aspects of training, flexibility may be one of the most lacking in programs. Back when I went to High School, pulling your arm across your chest and bending over to touch your toes was considered a good way to warm up before training. Not because it was the best way, but because that’s how my coaches were taught to stretch so it’s the way they taught me. It seems like it is the same way today! When I go out to meet with new coaches/clients the first thing I like to show them is a proper warm up, it’s easy and takes little time. I always ask the coaches why they do their specific warm up, and the answer is always the same, “because that’s what I did when I was playing sports”. I try to explain that both cases, static and dynamic stretching, the purpose is to take the muscles though a greater than normal range of motion. Static means that the stretch is being held and the muscles are at a constant length. Dynamic stretching implies that the muscles and joints are moving as you stretch. During dynamic stretching, we are steadily loading and unloading the muscles across multiple joints. I want them to understand that his method assists with increase ROM of the joints while also warming up the neuromuscular system. When first starting with some teams the dynamic warm up will feel like a regular workout to them! I remember running a baseball team through a dynamic warm up and they were all complaining their legs where sore and felt like they just did a workout! I was in total shock of how tight and immobile this team was (they are a great baseball team too). If there is one bit if info I can share with you it is to perform a proper warm up. If you have questions about proper warm ups or dynamic stretching please take a look at our main website to see what we can offer you. Sports Performance Training